Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 21- "Cafe Rio, we're breaking up!"


.... As Taylor Swift says: "It's Over. It's SO OVER"


Like I said in an earlier post, Shane and I don't eat out as much anymore. It just doesn't taste as good anymore and I feel crummy afterwards.

Let me preface this with the fact that Cafe Rio was my favorite go to fast food. I know a lot of people don't consider it fast food, but I do. I mostly would get it as carry out. I started my love of Cafe Rio when I was 19 and living up by the University of Utah. It became a special place for my roommates and I. Even after graduation, we would meet up there to chat, laugh, and eat over glorious sweet barbacoa pork burritos and salads.

I was about three months into Beach Body when I decided to treat all of my DECA students to Cafe Rio while we were competing at our State Competition. I ordered my usual. It wasn't as good as I used to think it was. Several days later my body decided to go through an intense cleanse. I was sick for 48 hours straight. No breaks. Nothing stayed in. It was miserable. Our downstairs bathroom became a hazard zone.

Right before we went to Moab last weekend, we ordered Cafe Rio so we didn't have the dirty dishes to deal and could just focus on packing up the car. I ordered my usual. Not impressed anymore at all. I did feel noticeably uncomfortable afterwards. Several days later..... intense cleanse- The SEQUEL! This time it only lasted one day, but it ruined my Memorial Day. Shane and I had plans to get all sorts of stuff done and to do some fun things with Taylor!

That evening I was feeling well enough to go celebrate my good friend and old roommate (Catherine) graduating from Med School.


While we were all together we were reflecting on our love and history with Cafe Rio. I shared with them the recent shortcomings of Cafe Rio that I had experienced. My friend shared with a story as well: Her last trip to Cafe Rio ended up with her finding a moth in her salad and Cafe Rio accusing her of putting it there! They then tried to make up for it by offering her a free meal.... uh... no thank you!

So it's official- IT'S OVER. No more Cafe Rio for me. No more "extra meat"! No more of their salsa fresca or creamy house dressing. I'm done and I'm ok with it.

I can do better. My body deserves better. :)


Visiting Teaching is Inspired

My good friend Catherine also happened to be my first visiting teacher when I moved out on my own. She actually came to my house to visit teach my roommate who happened to  not be there at the time. I invited her and her partner in and they stayed to share and listen. I was having such a bad day and going through some really rough times. She was trying to care and comfort me and barely knew me! 

When I moved back to Bountiful to go to Weber, my visiting teaching companion and I had a really good system. Because we were all single, we would trade off hosting dinners each month with the girls we visit taught. I loved it. They almost became like a second family since we were all on our own. It was nice to have that sisterhood and support. 

After Shane and I got married, we moved into his parents house while they served a mission in California. I was blessed to have Lisa and her daughter in law April as my visiting teachers the entire time I lived there. They were so great about visiting and checking in with me often. They became good friends of mine and are such wonderful examples of selfless and loving women. 

Here in our new home, my first visiting teachers came soon after we moved in. They immediately befriended me and helped me to make friends in our new neighborhood. They introduced me to Zumba and continue to lift my spirit with their friendship and example! 

I love visiting teaching and know that it is an inspired program for Heavenly Father's daughters. It allows us to reach out of our comfort zones to look after and friend one another. It encourages us to serve and to let others serve us and our families. Visiting Teaching helps me to share my testimony and brings myself and the sisters I have the opportunity to serve closer to Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment